At Beyer Stem Cell Institute in Tinley Park, we are proud to have a provider that is trained in functional neurology and functional medicine. But what exactly is functional medicine and what does that mean for you as a patient?
In today’s blog post, we are going to explore what functional medicine is and how regenerative medicine treatments — like stem cell therapy — work in conjunction with functional medicine.
If you’re looking for a way to find pain relief from physical injuries or help your body heal from any damage or the effects of aging, stem cell therapy might be a valid treatment option. Sign up for our free stem cell therapy seminar from Beyer Stem Cell Institute if you’re in the Tinley Park area.
Functional medicine is a type of alternative medicine that focuses on the root cause of a patient’s disease or symptoms. As the Institute for Functional Medicine explains, “functional medicine determines how and why illness occurs and restores health by addressing the root causes of disease for each individual.”
Taking this approach to medicine allows the provider to create an individualized approach to treatment that is focused on the patient. In fact, there are six core principles that are associated with functional medicine:
- One key aspect of functional medicine is that it views everyone as unique, working to create a care plan that is distinct and individualized for every patient.
- Functional medicine is science-based, looking at how the networks in the body intertwine and work together. When we understand those different relationships, we are able to better understand how the body functions as a whole.
- Functional medicine looks at the body’s ability to self-regulate itself and respects that intelligence.
- Function medicine recognizes the fact that bodies are able to heal themselves.
- Functional medicine’s view of good health doesn’t see the body as free of disease. Instead, functional medicine focuses on getting the body to a state of vitality by finding the root cause of any disease and treating that deeper problem.
- Functional medicine also promotes various lifestyle choices that will help the entire body, not just by improving the lifespan of each patient but their health as well.
These core principles all work together to provide each patient with an approach that looks at their body and symptoms individually to find the best treatment options to get at the core of the problem.
Regenerative medicine works hand-in-hand with functional medicine to help treat chronic conditions. These types of treatments work to go beyond the traditional drug therapy used to treat the pain but not attempt to fix the source of the pain. When these two types of medicine are used together (regenerative and functional), patients can avoid invasive surgeries and costly medical bills.
Regenerative medicine looks at the ability of the body to heal using new technologies — like stem cell therapy, fat tissues, and platelets — to help speed up the healing process. Functional medicine is different, but it also looks at the ability of the body to heal itself and focuses on finding a treatment plan that is safe, effective, and non-invasive.
While functional and regenerative medicine are different approaches to medicine and the body, there is a lot of overlap between treatment options. They are unique processes that both help the body heal.
For example, your provider might use regenerative medicine to help treat your body or pain with stem cells while also using functional medicine to discover and better understand the root cause of your pain or problem. But both of these approaches to medicine still rely on the body’s self-healing abilities.
Choose Stem Cell Therapy from Beyer
To find a functional and regenerative medicine provider, you can schedule an appointment with our team at Beyer Stem Cell Institute in Tinley Park.
Our provider, Dr. Beyer, has over 30 years of experience and is trained in functional neurology and functional medicine. Using our stem cell therapy, we work to provide you with a non-invasive route to pain relief. Let our team help you live pain-free and register for one of our free stem cell therapy seminars if you’re in the Tinley Park or Chicago area.